The Centre for Mathematical Sciences has a long tradition in mathematical image analysis. Activities are driven by the Mathematical Imaging Group, MIG, combining competences (projective, algebraic and differential geometry, linear algebra, optimisation, harmonic analysis, integral transforms, inverse problems, probability theory and numerical analysis) from different disciplines of the Centre.
Work started in the mid-eighties, as one of several work directions in applied mathematics. All the time, research has to a large extent been driven by problems from engineering, medical and natural sciences, and from industry. Work is almost entirely funded by external sources such as the Swedish Research Council, European Research Council, Vinnova and SSF. The research problems have in turn generated many theoretical research problems and results, and initiated transfer of mathematical techniques to new areas.
- Mid-eighties. The group is founded by Gunnar Sparr.
- 1997. Kalle Åström receives the Nordic Award for the best PhD Thesis in Pattern Recognition 1995-1996.
- 2003. Fredrik Kahl receives the Nordic Award for the best PhD Thesis in Pattern Recognition 2001-2002.
- 2005. Fredrik Kahl receives the ICCV Marr Prize.
- 2007. Jan-Erik Solem receives the Nordic Award for the best PhD Thesis in Pattern Recognition 2005-2006.
- 2011. Carl Olsson receives the Nordic Award for the best PhD Thesis in Pattern Recognition 2009-2010.
- 2011. Gunnar Sparr receives Engeströmska medaljen from Kungliga Fysiografiska Sällskapet.
- 2015. Petter Strandmark receives the Nordic Award for the best PhD Thesis in Pattern Recognition 2013-2014.
The group has a strong tradition of starting new companies, taking new research results to industry and to use in society.
- 1999. Decuma AB, founded by Gunnar Sparr, Rikard Berthilsson and Kalle Åström.
- 2003. Cognimatics AB founded by Rikard Berthilsson, Kalle Åström and Fredrik Kahl.
- 2004. Ange Optimization ApS founded by Nicolas Guilbert.
- 2004. Polar Rose AB (first called Ground Truth Vision) founded by Jan-Erik Solem. Sold to Apple Inc in 2010.
- 2010. Nocturnal Vision founded by Henrik Malm and Magnus Oskarsson.