I’m a doctoral student at Lund University under the supervision of professor Cristian Sminchisescu. In my research I apply deep reinforcement learning to computer vision tasks such as object detection and active vision, aiming to make visual recognition systems more flexible and adaptive. This is my current list of publications:
- D. Nilsson, A. Pirinen, E. Gärtner, C. Sminchisescu. Embodied Visual Active Learning for Semantic Segmentation, AAAI 2021 (poster). [arXiv] [Video] [Poster]
- M. Priisalu, C. Paduraru, A. Pirinen, C. Sminchisescu. Semantic Synthesis of Pedestrian Locomotion, ACCV 2020 (poster). [Paper] [Video]
- A. Pirinen, E. Gärtner, C. Sminchisescu. Deep Reinforcement Learning for Active Human Pose Estimation, AAAI 2020 (oral). [Paper] [arXiv] [Video 1] [Video 2] [Video 3] [Poster] [Github]
- A. Pirinen, E. Gärtner, C. Sminchisescu. Domes to Drones: Self-Supervised Active Triangulation for 3D Human Pose Reconstruction, NeurIPS 2019 (poster). [Paper] [Video] [Poster] [Github]
- A. Pirinen, B. Ames. Exact Clustering of Weighted Graphs via Semidefinite Programming, JMLR 2019 (journal). [Paper] [arXiv]
- A. Pirinen, C. Sminchisescu. Deep Reinforcement Learning of Region Proposal Networks for Object Detection, CVPR 2018 (poster). [Paper] [Video] [Poster] [Github]
- S. Mathe, A. Pirinen, C. Sminchisescu. Reinforcement Learning for Visual Object Detection, CVPR 2016 (poster). [Paper] [Poster]
Prior to pursuing my PhD, I obtained an M. Sc. degree in engineering mathematics from the Faculty of Engineering at Lund University, focusing on image analysis, statistics and signal processing. During my master I was awarded a Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow (SURF) internship at Caltech, where I did research on large-scale optimization for machine learning. This work resulted in a JMLR journal paper.
I have been a reviewer at top-tier conferences and journals such as CVPR, ECCV, ICCV, NeurIPS, AAAI and IJCV, and won an outstanding reviewer award at CVPR 2018. I have also taught a variety of courses related to my research, such as image analysis and machine learning. Among other things, I have given several lectures on reinforcement learning and designed a major home assignment on this topic. My teaching has consistently received very high praise from students. In 2016 I received the award Teaching Assistant of the Year at the Faculty of Engineering, Lund University.